Makes 4 servings
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup uncooked orzo (or rice or pastina)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the orzo, rice, or pastina and cook until tender but still al dente, about 7 minutes (20, if using rice). Season with the salt and pepper and reduce heat to low; simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice until smooth.
- Ladle about 1 cup of the hot broth into the egg-and-lemon mixture, then whisk to combine.
- Add the mixture back to the simmering saucepan. Stir just until the soup becomes opaque and thickens as the eggs cook, 1 to 2 minutes. Add more salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.
Source: Victoria Granof via epicurious.com